Reasons to Work with INCLUDEnyc
1. You will help create a more inclusive city and better futures for families and young people with disabilities.
2. You will work with a group of caring, thoughtful, genuine people.
3. We treat our people well, from benefits to flexibility.
4. We try to practice what we preach. You will use your head and your heart, earn opportunities to grow and develop, and do it all in a culture that values collaboration, initiative, and results.
HOW WE HIRE
Because our services are personal, hiring is one of the very most important decisions we make. We put a lot of thought and energy into how we evaluate candidates. That means that our hiring process might be more involved than what you have experienced.
What to Expect in the Hiring Process
Our hiring process includes several opportunities on both sides. If you move through all the steps, a typical process, in roughly this order, might consist of:
- an initial screening call
- an in-person interview with potential colleagues and managers, which may include discussion or walking through some real-life scenarios
- a written exercise, and—for some jobs—an on-site demonstration
- a second meeting with team members
- a final meeting with the Executive Director
We recognize that this process requires an investment of your time, and also believe that a thorough process gives you the opportunity to get to know us as well.
Please note that our hiring process is also highly competitive. When we have an opening, it is usually the result of the organization's growth. We receive many applicants, and end up turning away some fantastic people in the process.
Our positions require a unique combination of skills, experience, and philosophical alignment. We’ve turned down candidates in the past who we knew would go on to do fantastic things (and they have) but where the fit wasn’t quite right for the work we do.
We say this to emphasize that if we don’t end up working together, it’s likely because we have an incredibly competitive candidate pool, combined with the fact that what we’re looking for is often unique.
Communications Design Coordinator
Reports to: Director, Communications and Outreach
The Communications Design Coordinator at INCLUDEnyc provides design and project management to the creation of all of the organization's products and materials. The Design Coordinator supports INCLUDEnyc’s communications strategy, the goal of which is to reach diverse constituents, inspire people to advocate for children with disabilities, and provide best-in-class resources to NYC families. INCLUDEnyc’s collaborative work environment provides the ability to generate creative ideas and requires the ability to take direction.
- Produce INCLUDEnyc’s communications products, including presentations, annual report, ads, flyers, emails, social media posts, invitations, and other special projects
- Create high quality and on-brand materials for the organization’s program and development teams
- Serve as a design hub for INCLUDEnyc, internally and externally
- Be a storyteller, working to find the people and images that communicate our success and impact
- Design, produce, and implement INCLUDEnyc’s digital communications aligning with INCLUDEnyc’s overall communications strategy
- Uphold the organization’s brand standards
- BA in graphic design, fine arts, or related field, preferred
- 2+ years of professional experience designing communications for nonprofit or corporate organizations
- Demonstrated understanding of digital and print design best practices
- Advanced skill and experience with Adobe Creative Suite, working knowledge of CMS platforms, email management software, presentation tools, and other emerging design tools
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google Apps (Gmail, Drive, Photos)
- Knowledge of HTML and Adobe Dreamweaver strongly preferred
- Accountability, follow through on all projects and tasks
- Enjoys working in a collaborative environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills, flexible, and a sense of humor
- Ability to provide and receive feedback
- Commitment to INCLUDEnyc’s mission
- Knowledge of special education and disability rights a plus
- Bilingual (Spanish) designers strongly encouraged to apply
Please send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements in .doc or .pdf format, subject line: “LAST NAME_Communications Design Coordinator” to jobs@INCLUDEnyc.org. Please also include link to online design portfolio.
As an equal opportunity employer, INCLUDEnyc believes that equal opportunity for all employees is important for the continuing success of our organization. In accordance with state and federal law, INCLUDEnyc employment decisions and practices will not be influenced or affected by race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sex, marital status, veteran status, disability, age or any other characteristic protected by law.