How to Build Relationships with Schools and Caregivers
The key to communicating with your child’s teachers and caregivers is to form a partnership. The goal is to work together in the best interest of your child.
- Think of your child’s teachers and caregivers as allies in his/her development.
- Keep the lines of communication open. Take the lead in beginning conversations and sharing information.
- Ask questions, share concerns, and raise issues when they first develop.
- Keep teachers and caregivers informed about unusual things in your child’s life, such as sleep problems, family illness, divorce, etc.
- Remember that your child’s teachers and caregivers have their own busy lives and challenges. Be kind and respectful to each other.
- Work to solve problems together by planning solutions you can use both at home, in school, and in child care.
- Let your child know you are operating as a team with their teachers and caregivers.
- Expect to discuss both your child’s positive and negative behaviors.
- Remember: No child is perfect!